Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Rankings

I think most everyone would agree that Ferndale and St. Patrick-St. Vincent are the top two teams. Three through six requires a little explanation. Justin Siena, last week's number two team and Dougherty Valley, last week's number four team, both lost to winless teams. While their opponents were bigger schools, I couldn't justify leaving them in place. So they each dropped and then I was faced with who to bring up. Middletown, Fort Bragg, and Berean Christian all won their respective games and of the three, I gave Middletown the slight edge.

Justin Siena may lose three more games this year, which would give them a record of 5-5. I think to solidify their spot in the NCS Division IV playoffs, they will have to upset either Marin Catholic, Novato, or Tamalpais.

After the Harker game this weekend, Dougherty Valley plays mostly large schools and I don't see them losing any of them. Most of the schools have played and lost to other Division IV or Division V schools by large margins. If Dougherty Valley beats Harker, they will likely finish with a 9-1 record.

Berean Christian entered the top eight for the second time this year. I think they are the favorite to win the Bay League. But there is a dark horse in the Bay League this year, Harker, a new team in the league. We'll know just how good Harker is when they play Dougherty Valley this weekend. Last year, Sacred Heart and Kings Academy were in the Bay League. They moved on to other leagues and another section, and both are doing well (both 4-0). Were they in the Bay League this year, they would be ranked right behind Ferndale.

Cloverdale hung on to the eighth spot for the second week in a row. The two teams that are right behind them are Upper Lake and Harker. I just don't know how good Harker is and I'm beginning to see Upper Lake in a different light. Both of those teams have tough games this weekend against ranked teams. Upper Lake hosts number 3 Middletown and Harker visits number 5 Dougherty Valley.

I'll post my preview and predictions of this weekend's games later today and tomorrow.

No comments: