Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Big Games

We have only three games left, and possibly a fourth, in the NCS Division IV. There would be a fourth game if Ferndale wins the section championship and they are the top ranked small school in the north. This year, the faux state championship has included a small school division (for schools with 400 or less students). Ferndale is currently the number one small school in the north and if they win, beating larger, ranked schools, they will only cement their number one ranking.

By the way, I call it a faux state championship because it's really a close cousin to the BCS in college. Teams from the north and south are "picked" to play the championship game. How this process really works, I don't know. But I do know that, when compared to other state championships, California lags far behind. Texas, which is a big state, has a statewide championship for each division. I think they serve as the model for what we should aspire to do here.

But, in the meantime, this is what we have. Ferndale is the one school in our Division even being considered for the honor of playing in a state championship -- so if they do make it, I'm sure everyone will root them on.

In our section, this will all be settled on the football field. I will preview both games on Turkey Day. I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving!

No comments: